CHICAGO, Feb. 12, 2018 – In honor of Valentine's Day, Swap.com (http://www.swap.com), the largest online consignment and thrift shop, wanted to find out if the qualities that make a great “thrifter” also make someone successful in love. Swap.com conducted a survey to nearly 1,500 customers asking about their secondhand shopping and dating habits, and discovered there was a true love connection between those who shop secondhand regularly and those who found success in their love lives. Sixty-nine percent of the most avid thrifters, who shop 12 times or more per year, stated they've found their match in a marriage or committed relationship.
What makes thrifters more likely to unlock the key to love?
They know what they want
- 75 percent of respondents return less than 10 percent of their purchases, compared to the national average of e-commerce returns, which is 4x that.
- 48 percent have dated fewer than five partners before finding their match, and while just 26 percent of Americans date a year or less before committing; that number jumps to 57 percent for thrifters, proving they know what they are looking for in a partner.
They love the thrill of the hunt
- Secondhand shoppers are drawn to a challenge, knowing hard work pays off when it comes to discovering a treasure online for a steal.
- Survey results showed thrifters have a similar approach to dating, as 77 percent met their partner through dating apps, school, work or a social situation.
They embrace technology and leverage it to get what they want
- Secondhand shoppers aren't afraid to utilize technology, with experts estimating that the online secondhand market is growing at 35 percent each year.
- 59 percent of the most avid Swap.com customers had used dating apps to find love.
Swap.com is the largest online consignment shop with more than 2 million unique items. The company strives to redefine consignment services by making the process of buying and selling pre-owned goods more convenient, safe, and profitable. Offering women's, men's and children's apparel, Swap.com is a one-stop shop the whole family can enjoy. The service was launched in 2012.